Google faces record penalty from EU over findings against Android mobile OS

EU regulators have reportedly postponed its meeting with Google over its finding against Android to next week.

The EU handed down a landmark 2.4-billion-euro ($2.82 billion) penalty to Google last year for favouring its shopping service over rivals.

Neighbourhood Technology Desk/Avi Arya: EU antitrust enforcer has charged Google with using its dominant Android to marginalize rivals following a three-year long investigation seen as the most important of three EU cases against the world’s most popular internet search engine. EU antitrust regulators have postponed to next week a finding against Google’s Android mobile operating system, a person familiar with the matter said, avoiding any clash with a visit to Brussels by US President Donald Trump.

European Commission had schedueled led a meeting of national competition agencies for Tuesday to brief them on the case, including what is expected to be a record-breaking fine against Alphabet unit Google. But the meeting has been rescheduled to July 17, the person said, without giving a reason for the change. Other sources say that they expected a delay due to the presence of Trump, who is due to attend a NATO summit in Brussels this week.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s